Friday, May 15, 2009

He was my first born child.

If you knew my Bart, you'd know what he would say about today's blog..."Well, Mom, I see you saved the best for last". Humor is a gift that flows through him. He was my first born child...and you only have one of those. I ache for first children because they are the ones we learn on...remember all those books you read on parenting and how you tried it all out on that oldest kid. Poor kid. But, none of my parental failures stopped this kid from becoming the strong, tenacious, self-sufficient, responsible, talented man he is today. All you have to do is spend 10 minutes conversing with Bart to realize that there is a lot of substance between his ears.
From childhood, he was like a sponge, soaking in knowledge any where he could find it. And, talent? Well, I'll tell you that this kid has more talent in his little toe that I have in my entire body. He showed a talent for art at an early age and even drew pictures all around the bathtub at the age of three while taking a soak. (private joke)
As the oldest of four, he sometimes had to take a back seat but never complained. He has always taken his responsibilities as the older sibling of three brothers very seriously and been a supportive force in the lives of his brothers. Yes, they all look up to their older brother.
I mentioned talent earlier...he has been an actor (doing movies and tv), comedian (performed at the Chicago Improv for years as well as all over the country), a director, an artist (both in fine and commercial art), a writer and is a dang good photographer(ck out his Flickr site on my favorites). He also spent several years in the navy in naval intelligence and was the honor recruit of his class. And, like the rest of us, he is an avid gamer. Now, I ask you, is that not talent?
Bart has two sons from his first marriage and is now married to a very intelligent young woman who is a dedicated teacher in the Chicago inner-city school system. She will make a difference.
He does not just "talk the talk" when it comes to changing his world but is an active participante.
The life lesson Bart taught me was not to be materialistic. I do believe that he would actually take the shirt off his back and give it to someone if he thought they needed it more.
If I seem to have been boastful and or proud this week while introducing my four sons to you, I apologize...NO! No, I don't. Oh, I know they can't walk on water and "OH BROTHER!" have we ever had our share of ups and some real downs, but, you see, from infancy to manhood, I consider it such a privilege and blessing to have been able to share this life journey with these four fine, interesting young men. Thanks for the memories, kids!

2 comments:

Betsy said...

perfect!! You LOVE you children, no doubts...

Bart said...

Yeah, and Bart is usually a lot more chipper than that, but after a 77 hour week... :P