Monday, August 31, 2009

Animals are family members too!

Fourteen years ago when we were living in Athens, TN our two sons Tim and Todd were in the process of some changes in their lives and had moved in with us for a while. During that period I had to have surgery so it was helpful to have the guys there. In his spare time, Tim, was doing some carving in the garage. He is an excellent carver and makes beautiful items. Just outside the garage and off our driveway was a wooded lot. One day while Tim was sitting and carving, he heard and saw a young female cat who was aparently living in the woods. I told him she was wild and that he should just leave her alone BUT if you have ever read anything I have written about Tim you know he loves cats with all of his heart. The cat was dirty, skinny, scared to death of people and as I said before basically wild. Every day Tim would put out food for her, talk to her and slowly she came closer and closer. The wild cat befriended him but in a distant way......she was still unable to trust humans. I believe that there are some people who are blessed with the gift of befriending and loving animals in a special way and Tim is one of those people. Before long he was ready to move on to FL to persue a relationship with his present wife, Betsy.....who by the way tolerates his love for cats, allows him to adopt one after another of them and loves them herself. When Tim was getting ready to leave our home he told me he was going to take this wild cat with him and I told my husband, "He'll never be able to get her in the carrier and even if he does she will go crazy." However, he did get the cat in the carrier and off to FL they went. Tim and Betsy patiently cared for her, gave her a loving home and eventually she became a tame, loving pet who was able to trust humans. He named her Sensi. When they moved up to TN they brought her with them. When I saw her I could hardly believe it was the same cat. She was beautiful, healthy and so calm and tame. She was a member of the family for 14 years.....I even sent her and her siblings presents at Christmas. Today, sadly, we lost her. The relationship between Tim and Sensi is a lesson in patience and love. Goodbye beautiful girl.....thank you for being a part of our family and making Tim and Betsy so happy. I know that with every cat Tim loves and has to give up, a little piece of his heart goes with them. Thinking of you, Tim.

3 comments:

Betsy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Betsy said...

what happened to my comment?? I did not remove anything...hummm must be Crazy Blogger bugs...

Thank You Momma for such a sweet & kind post honoring Sensi...Yep, we sure loved that little furball...she brought us lots of joy!!

Pop by my blog, I wrote a short story....lol..

Love you,
Betsy

Bart said...

Sorry my brother and sis-in-law. Sensi was a very good cat! Glad I was able to see her when I was down.