Friday, June 5, 2009














“Turquoise Teardrops”
My paternal Great Grandmother was
Cherokee. As I grew up, I learned much
about my Cherokee heritage. Several years
ago while on one of our trips out west, my
husband took me to the place in Oklahoma
where the terrible “Trail of Tears” ended. My
heart ached when I read accounts of that
march from the hills of North Carolina to
Oklahoma. My Great Grandmother’s family
was blessed to have escape that fate. This piece
is dedicated to all those who did not.
To make this piece, I attached four
turquoise Jasper tear drops with handmade
wire attachments to a strand of turquoise
chips, glass and small sterling silver beads.
It is finished with a silver metal toggle clasp
and measures approx 21”.
With no prior knowledge of this fact before
purchasing my log cabin, I found out that my
cabin is built on ancient Cherokee land.

2 comments:

Bart said...

Oooooh, I really like the turquoise stuff you've been doing. This is my favorite so far!

Betsy said...

I love this piece...and the story behind it...

love ya!!